Friday, March 7, 2008

Gotcha Day

Last weekend we celebrated Boo's "gotcha day" - the anniversary of the day we actually "gotcha" in Guatemala "for good" (March 1st). It's hard to believe it's been four years ago since we picked her up knowing she was finally ours. This is the first year she seems to have "got it" but certainly Spiderman's adoption has made it more understandable. She anticipated it the entire day before and would make up her own tune singing, "tomorrow is my gotcha day". Of course we pulled out her lifebook (story of her life, not just the adoption side of it) and talked about Guatemala. Just for a fun project the kids decorated cookies (again) :)





That night we ordered Dominoes pizza and just celebrated how God brought Boo to our family. (She picked the meal and insisted - "Mommy, I do NOT want those tamales!" - remember Christmas eve?) She opened a small gift from Guatemala, we bought 18 of them when we travelled to pick her up. This little whistle doesn't seem like much but she has taken such pride in knowing it is from Guatemala. She toots on it around the house, singing her made up songs. Not a huge deal but just enough to remember the special day.




No surprise to any of us, Spiderman was asking how long til his "gotcha day" and anticipating what was to come for himself. He even asked Jaybird and Goose when their "gotcha days" were and Jaybird replied, "we don't get any because we were born from Mom's tummy". You could hear the disappointment in his voice.

2 comments:

Braedensmommy said...

Yes! I have found this blog and LOVE it!! Thank you for your kind words on my blog! Your family is ADORABLE!! How cute is the sleeping picture in PROJECT CHICKENS!?!?!?
Megan

Michael and Michelle said...

What a great idea! 18 gifts for 18 years! I know just how Jaybird feels, my siblings were adopted and had their special days too. When I was younger I would say to my mom "I want to be adopted too" just so I could have a special day.
Is the life book like a scrapbook??
Michelle