If you've eaten Ethiopian food, you've probably had Shiro since it is a staple in their diet. It comes from dried, ground chickpeas. Here is the lovely cook who made our yummy shiro (vegetarian paste) and doro watt (chicken stew) for dinner tonight. I kept asking her Momma for the Shiro recipe and she told me every time, "there is none- you just have to watch her do it". Well, today I did just that and attempted to write everything down. It was truly delicious! This is my interpretation of the recipe:
boil 3 1/2 cups water
then add 1/2 cup oil and whisk together
add 3/4 cup of Shiro powder, whisk frequently and continue boiling for about 5 minutes
Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1 Teaspoon of minced garlic and 1 Tablespoon of butter.
Continue stirring over medium heat for another 5 minutes til the Shiro thickens to a thinish paste. Spoon over some injera and enjoy. Konjo!
How to Unlock Your Teacher's Super Powers
7 years ago
3 comments:
I am soooooo glad you posted this! I am making Doro wat tonight and Almaz sent us with a bunch of the chickpea powder and I had no idea what to do with it!!!! Do you know about the red powder??? Thank you, thank you ,thank you:)~Julia
How fun Sharon! I was just going to take Aleena out to eat at an Ethiopian resturant to avoid making this "scary" food! I too am not a cook at heart! Most of the time I'm not sure what's for dinner at 5pm!! not good...
loved see all the pictures!
Smiles,
jen
That sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to make it. Do you have any suggestions about ingredients that we should but when we go to Ethiopia? I love your blog!
Post a Comment