Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Spiderman's First "Gotcha Day"

Above: 8/12/07 meeting in Ethiopia and Daddy teaching high fives.
Below: 8/12/08 with his "gotcha" gift we bought while in Ethiopia. (If you can't tell it's a painted drum) He picked lasagna and zucchini bread for dinner tonight and had Ethiopian food for lunch. What a fun thing to celebrate as a family.



Well, hard to believe but it's been a full year since we met Spiderman for the first time ever. I'll never forget that morning or our meeting. I had prayed countless prayers that it would go well and he would be comfortable with us (and that I wouldn't cry). I had even covered his kids and grandkids in prayer. Just recently he told me that he was scared to walk in the room to meet us and thought his heart would explode. You would have never known it. He walked right in and came up for a hug. The rest is history.


So much has happened this past year. It's been filled with many "first time" moments and memories of us becoming a family. We were just asked today what kinds of struggles and adjustments have been the hardest. My man actually said, "we were prepared for the worst but it has been shockingly smooth." We still have food issues but I'm reminded of friends with biological children who have those as well. We are so thankful that the kids all get along and are good friends. Spiderman told me just this past week that "Ethiopia was boring" and that he loves having a brother and 2 sisters because "there really wasn't anyone to play with". I know there were other kids living nearby but what I see is that he has learned to appreciate that a brother or sister is ALWAYS there for you (even if sometimes to fight with).
What amazes me is that I had prepared myself for the first year to be all about adjusting and forging the bonds of family. I anticipated this to be a difficult and taxing year. God must have laughed as he saw me preparing for disaster as He had something else in mind. Spiderman came to us ready to move ahead and with a joyful and resilient spirit. It has been a year characterized more by joy than with difficulty. Oh sure, there have been moments of frustration and irritation with this new little guy in our home but if I'm honest with myself, it almost always has to do with my own selfishness. I can see how he has missed out on 7 years of "my programming" and has had to learn what to expect from me. :) I am too often reminded that I am not a perfect mom and I am motivated by what makes things easier on me. As I relax and look at who he is (and really all my children for that matter) I can enjoy him for the sweet, imaginative, funny, confident, helpful and obedient little guy that he is. In fact today he has been inventing a submarine out of parts of old electronic toys he has "screwdrivered" into pieces, taping their little computer brains together. He's already making plans for a time machine and a jet pack. :)
Praise God for bringing Spiderman to us!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Happy Gotcha Day to Spiderman!

Michelle Riggs said...

He has changed so much in the last year. I loved finally getting to see him. You have wonderful children.

Thanks for praying for Abby.

Three2Five said...

Sharon this was a beautiful tribute to your beautiful boy! Thank you so much for sharing!