Friday, June 5, 2009

The days of summer

We still feel busier than ever this summer but we took the time this past week to sign up for the local library's summer reading program. We have participated in this for years and the kids love it because their reading is rewarded with prizes. Here they are in a candid moment getting their hours in. While Boo doesn't really read, her hours are spent listening to the rest of us. The kids completed their first 3 hours in 2 days and were thrilled to get coupons to Pizza Hut for personal pizzas as a result. I think next time the prize is a book.


Amazingly, Spiderman (who usually only reads if it's required for school) has really stepped it up and it's been great for his reading confidence. Jaybird ALWAYS has his nose buried in a book so this is nothing new for him but Goose has also improved the past couple months and has read all the way through the American Girl series of books on Felicity. I'm just thrilled that they love to read or listen to me read. I credit our homeschool curriculum for much of that (shameless plug for Sonlight).


Another recent favorite is our new fire pit in the backyard. I'm not sure why we've never done this before but now we can roast hotdogs or marshmellows anytime we want. The kids would have that be nightly but they may have to settle for weekly. :) With 3 fires behind us already (OK, 2 in one week), fireflys and hide & seek have been part of the special nights.

2 comments:

The Redman's said...

Looks like some great summer fun!!! I'm very jealous of your back yard! Looks like the perfect place to raise those darling kiddos of yours. (I think my boy would be in heaven there!!-- and Grace too!)

Rosemary Watson said...

It is fun to hear about your summer reading projects. Glad the children are interested in books. Books enrich our lives. The firepit in the backyard looks interesting, too.
Have a wonderful summer! I guess you can call me Rosyfoot if you need a nickname.

Rosemary