Wednesday, September 10, 2008

She's a killer...

OK, for all of you who are anti hunting or PETA cardholders, please skip this post. Remember, we are country folks.


Can you see the pride on this little girl's face? Last weekend she chose to go squirrel hunting with Daddy and at the last minute said she wanted to try and shoot one (usually the kids choose to just go watch Dad try). As I've been told, Goose was sitting on Daddy's lap cuddling in the woods when he spotted a squirrel. She quickly took aim and shot it but her gun shifted and kicked her arm. She started to cry and my man said, "you shot it Goose!" She thrust her arms into the air in triumph and in her tears said, "it's just what I always dreamed it would be!" This was her first ever hunting kill and Daddy was beaming! (you can see he got one too) It's obvious to me who she gets this from and it is NOT me.


As is typical during hunting seasons around here, everyone lined up to get in on the achievement. Boo LOVED holding Daddy's squirrel and practically cuddled it like a babydoll (???) Spiderman shocked me by actually tasting the squirrel meat (which my man is required to cook) and asking for more! Amazing.

The ironic twist in all of this is that our beloved 4 chicks were apparently "hunted" by some sort of predator yesterday. When the kids heard that we found one of the bodies (confirming they had not just run away), the sobbing and screaming was intense in the same kids that were so excited to handle the squirrels. They obviously feel the big difference between wildlife and pets and as much as they handled these chicks,they truly were pets. The hens are still here, being much wiserbut it sure isn't the same to the kids. It's hard to see them so worked up.


On a better note, this is what the boys have spent their week doing. They saved up to buy these gliders and have put them through the ringer (and the trees) this week. Sounds like a great investment huh?

5 comments:

The Redman's said...

OH- I love your posts! There's a part of me that longs for the country life... it just seems like the way kids were/are meant to grow up! Plus, I've been meaning to tell you that your little miss Goose is about the sweetest and most gorgeous little lady I've seen! What a doll. You have been richly blessed with your 4 blessings. :)

-Suzi

Michael and Michelle said...

That is so funny!!! I love it that she was so excited!!! She should come to my house.....there is something digging in my backyard....I need Goose to help me.

Michelle

Three2Five said...

Your post is hilarious!
Hey are you headed to Airport day? I noticed the boys with the gliders and I didn't know if they were getting prepped for viewing airplanes.

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Those poor squirrels!!! LOL!! Our dog killed our one-eyed squirrel that lived in our backyard for 5 years! It was dead on my deck and I had to "prepare" the kids to see him. I then wrapped my hands in two baggies and put him in another baggie...I do so wish we lived near you...although you could live here where ticks and chiggers are almost non-existent!!
Love ya~!
Jen in mi

Dawn said...

Hi there - I just stumbled across your blog. I had to chuckle at your post about the squirrels because we are having a big squirrel problem at our house. Tell your family to come on over - they'll have plenty to shoot at!!

~Dawn