I don't know if you watched Blues Clues with your young tots but way back when mine were into that, we named this chair our "thinking chair". Ever since those years, it hasn't changed and I hope it never does. It once belonged to my man's Grandma so it has some history and is the best napping chair in the world - I know from experience.
Well, one week ago it got a makeover. My poor mother-in-law volunteered last month to help me re-upholster it and we did. We spent 4 days doing little else (OK, we squeezed in a little time for Grandma with the kids, sorry it wasn't more Jo-Ann!) and boy were we glad to be done. I have to say that I would NEVER have decided to do this on my own. Jo-Ann is an interior designer/decorator and knows just what she is doing - she was the brains and I was the brawn (weilding a staple gun and a sewing needle). It turned out beautiful so I have to show it off. (Let me know if you want her number) Our running joke is that one day when the chair belongs to Goose and she wants a new look for it, she will ask Grandma to help from the nursing home because I'm NOT doing this again. :) Thanks Jo-Ann! Boo wanted to model the new look. Of course, she had to move the velvet rope out of the way to get on it since the kids aren't aloud to touch it ever again. :) Would a clear, plastic cover be tacky?
This is how the chair has looked before in my house. About 5 years ago when we inheirited it, Jo-Ann slaved away making me this checkered slipcover for it. I've always appreciated it but it had worn through and was past it's prime. I couldn't find a photo of the chair on it's own so here you can see Aunt Laura teaching Jaybird how to knit (sort-of).
Under all that work, here is the original chair, just the way it would have looked in Great-Grandma's house, minus the wear. I'm not into antiques but I do love things with a history.
1 comments:
The chair looks great! I would love to be able to do something like that.
Post a Comment